The Coles County Health Department has developed eight training sessions that focus on food safety. These sessions utilize visual aids, hands on training, and current statistics that are suitable for educating both food service employees as well as citizens concerned with food safety at home. Seven of these training sessions are offered free of charge. Everyone is welcome to attend, but advance registration is required. Call the Coles County Health Department at 217-348-0530, email, or fax the form below to 217-348-5322 to register.
List of Classes:
Cleaning and Sanitizing - FREE - Emphasizes the importance of cleaning and sanitizing effectively. Using overheads and hands-on demonstrations, attendees learn about effective sanitizers and how to use them properly.
Time and Temperature - FREE - Learn about the important relationship time and temperature have on the growth of harmful bacteria. Take the information back to your workplace or home to provide safer food for the consumer and your family.
Personal Hygiene - FREE - Just when you thought you k new everything there was to know about washing your hands! This session addresses the common bacteria that lurk on our hands and reviews the proper way to wash your hands as well as other aspects that contribute to personal hygiene.
Food borne Illness - FREE - Learn about the "bugs" that cause food borne illness and what you can do to minimize their occurrence in your home or facility.
Current Topics and Consumer Advisory - FREE - Food is a rapidly changing topic. Learn about genetically modified food, irradiation, changes in the food code, emerging pathogens, and what's currently going on with food! This talk is updated regularly.
HACCP - FREE - Learn about the proactive approach to food safety that begins at delivery and ends on the table. Learn about the control measures you can establish to ensure that food is safe and employees are knowledgeable.
Cross-Contamination - FREE - What you can't see can hurt - your business and your customers. Lean about the common, preventable, mistakes that are responsible for making people sick.
Germ fighters - Presentations are designed for pre-kindergarten through fourth grade students regarding hand washing and food safety. material, content, and presentation length are grade specific. The germ fighters program is offered only to establishments or groups within Coles County. The program is offered free of charge. Teachers and group leaders may contact this Department for more information or to schedule a presentation.
Certified Manager (Formerly FSSMC)
The Coles County Health Department holds Certified Professional Food Manager classes approximately 3 times each year.
- The fee for class is $100.00, and limited to 25 individuals. Payment is required to hold your place in class. You may pay online here.
- Registration is required for this class.
- Walk-ins are discouraged, as the class fills quickly.
- Online registration is available, but will be disabled when the class is close to capacity.
- A mimumum of 8 hours is required by the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) for certification. Upon passing the exam with a score of 75% or higher you will be issued the Professional Food Manager Certificate that is valid for 5 years. A text book can be borrowed when registration form and fee is submitted and must be turned in day of exam. Please bring: current photo ID, highlighter, pencil, pen, notebook (to take notes in) and class book. If you are unable to make the class, you must call at least 24 hours prior to that class date to send an alternate in your place. No refunds will be provided.
- All participants MUST be on time for each class time. Those who are late cannot be given credit or take the exam.
- Bring your book and writing materials each day.
- You may bring drinks and snacks with you as long as it does not disrupt other class members.
- Chairs are wood, you may bring a seat cushion if you wish.
- Exam day: bring your photo ID and 2 - #2 pencils. All materials and bags must be left outside of the testing room during exam.
- BOTH the online registration form & COURTMONEY should be completed for online registration. You will need to save the registration form and email it as an attachment to email@example.com .